Research and Teaching Interests
I have almost 30 years of experience in domestic and international environmental management and am an experienced consultant, trainer and auditor. My expertise is in complex subsurface investigations/remediation, multi-media compliance audits, environmental management systems (EMS), Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs), hydrogeology & groundwater resources, and asbestos/lead/lead-in-drinking water. Many of my most recent projects involve sustainability with regard to water and energy usage. I have an in-depth understanding of regulatory programs including EPA, OSHA, CAA, CWA, EPCRA, and RCRA. I am an experienced international speaker, routinely providing lectures and courses on a wide variety of environmental topics.
I am the Coordinator for the Master of Environmental Management, both the undergraduate and graduate internships, and an advisor for undergraduates in the program. I also manages four of the certificates available to students in the program My primary role is to bring real-world expertise into the classroom. I have created 9 different courses that provide students with concrete job skills that get students hired.
My research includes:
- Lead Investigator for the NextEra-Oxford-TCU Wind Energy Grant, focusing on the socio-economic impacts of wind energy development.
- Principal Investigator for the Tarrant Regional Water District-Dallas Water Utilities Integrated Pipeline Project, focusing on the economics of water supply in north central Texas.
- Principal Advisor for Groundwater Degradation and Sustainability of the Erbil Basin Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq
- Principal Advisor for Lead, Cadmium and Zinc contamination in soils at the Tar Creek Superfund site in Oklahoma, focusing on the effectiveness of in-situ remediation.
- Principal Advisor for Magnetic Levitation Chiller Analysis for the Greater Southwest Region focusing on energy and water savings at General Services Administration (GSA).
- Principal Advisor for Sustainable Landscapes Analysis for the Greater Southwest Region GSA focusing on the potential water savings for site with drought-tolerant landscaping.
- Principal Advisor for a Review of Temperature Variability and Urban Heat Effects in Dallas/Fort Worth 1950 – Present focusing on increasing temperatures
- Principal Advisor for a review of Groundwater Supply in South Central Texas for the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) focused on assisting a small community whose drinking water wells were within 60 days of running dry.
I am a licensed Professional Geoscientist (TX), Licensed Asbestos Management Planner (TX), Licensed Corrective Action Project Manager (TX), with current Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER), Site Supervisor, and Confined Space Entry and Rescue certifications, as well as an ISO14001 Lead Auditor.
I was appointed to the Texas Board of Professional Geoscientists by Governor Perry in 2011, currently serve as an officer of the board, and was re-appointed by Governor Abbott to serve until 2023.
I teach the following courses:
Every semester: ENSC 40013/70003 – Environmental Internship
Fall even: ENSC 50703 – Compliance; ENSC 50793 – Environmental Sustainability
Spring odd: ENSC 50713 – Phase I/II; GEOL 50713 – Environmental Geology; ENSC 60203 – Environmental Issues
Fall odd: ENSC 50703 – Compliance; ENSC/GEOL 50763 – Groundwater
Spring even: ENSC 50723 – WT and WWTP; GEOL 50713 – Environmental Geology; ENSC 60203 – Environmental Issues